Skip to main content

My Pabebe Waves

My Pabebe Waves -- and I am not even talking about #aldub. (Sorry for the pun, I am just a fan! Oh- it rhymes! Silly me.)

Anyways, I am referring to my curls and how I respond to their "pabebe" nature.

You see, ever since I decided to just let my curly hair shine through, I've been getting a lot of questions as to whether I had a perm . They're a bit shocked when I answer them with a resounding "NO" and revealing them of the truth I have once concealed...that is,  I am born with curly hair.

I admit I hated my curls before. I was one of those traditional Filipina who has the feels for long black straight hair (blame it on shampoo commercials.) So, for more than ten years, I did my best to conceal my curls by diligently going to the salon to have my hair rebonded. I have become successful in hiding my own curls. You see, I did deceive the people around me, even my boyfriend.

This is a selfie I took a day before I chop my hair off. At this point, the virgin hair is about up to my shoulders that I need to resort to  hair iron to hide the waves...
But then, ten years is but long enough to wear the same hair. I eventually got bored and unaatached to my straightened hair. Also, Ive been dreaming of a bad ass hair cut. Something that will give me a bit of personality, edge, and yes, a bit of style.

So, one day, I snapped, went to the salon and had a medium length haircut, letting all the curly virgin hair shine through, and all the straightened rebonded hair off. It felt like a dramatic separation from my chemically treated straight hair and going back to my very roots--curly hair. 

To be specific, I am a Type 2A wavy hair (according to naturallycurly.com). I know my hair aint as curly as other girls, but it is still curly for me.


Surprisingly, I am loving my curls now more than ever. I missed my curls so much. I guess I am finally starting to embrace my real hair - or the real me for that matter-- because even though how much I love my hair straightened, in my very roots, figuratively and literally, I will always be the curly girl.

Now, after finally embracing my curls, I am slowly trying to improve my hair care routine. Curly hair is soooo HIGH MAINTENANCE especially if you want to keep your hair in its luscious phase. I don't know where did the conotation of curly hair being so low maintenance came from. Maybe it's the tought of "no comb" thing. But the truth is, there is more to being curly that just "wash and wear."

For a month of wearing my hair curly, I've discovered some tricks to keep the frizz at bay. I realized that you really need to "baby" your curls (masyado sila pabebe) because they "react" to whatever you apply in your hair. May it be mousse, hair spray, oil. Plus it is also dependent to frequency of washing your hair, humidity, length and style of your hair, etc. To tell you honestly, for a month of wearing my hair curly, I've used five-six different hairstyling product, and they all have different effect. One product has different efffect on different day depending on the condition of the hair prior to the application. 


After washing hair with a bit of mousse

my second day hair
the curls has loosen this time

Now, I just want to share some tips how to take good care of your curls. These are just some of the things that I follow myself to keep my hair looking decent and fab.

1. Moisturize your hair to the best of your ability. If you have curly hair, you need to condition your hair to make it bouncy and full of life. Dry hair is a no no because it makes the curls look freakishly dull. You want to be hermoine- not hagrid.

2. Always search for products that are formulated to cater to the needs of your delicate hair. That label "For curly hair" is your magic word.

3. Choose a day or two without washing your hair. I know this is kinda hard, knowing how humid and polluted our country is, but this will prevent your hair from getting dry. The natural oils in your scalp will moisturize your hair.  What I do, I just choose a day (or two) wherein I will just stay at home and wont mind wearing an unwashed hair the whole day.

4. Use hair mask or hair treatment every week. I love hair mask even when I was still a rebonded girl. I realized that it nourishes my curls and it also lessens the "buhaghag" kind of thing. It's kind of tedious, I know, but it is a treat I do for my hair and for myself. I am currently using the Maru Silky Straight Hair Treatment (for wavy frizzy hair). This keeps my hair really moisturized.


.

5. When drying out your hair, use a cotton T-shirt. Avoid using towel cloths for they stimulate frizz on your curls. 

6. Avoid applying heat on your hair as much as possible. If you must, use heat protectant. Again, this is to avoid your hair getting fried and dried out. 

7. Use leave on conditioner or hair vitamin to keep your hair moisturized. Again, moisturizing your curly hair is the best way to keep it healthy and beautiful.

8. Use wide tooth comb. There are two things I bought first right after choppin my hair. One is the hair mousse for curly hair. The second one is a wide tooth comb. Since curly hair is obviously swirling by group of strands, it is def prone to tangleSo, to prevent hair breakage, use wide tooth comb or your fingers. As much as possible be gentle when detangling your hair.


To end this article, my last advice would be just enjoy your hair. Try out different products and experiment on different hairstyles (I will be reviewing a series of curly hair products on my next posts). Curly haired people are unique such that they don't really go with the norms. Even curly people have different types of curl so each has their own unique quality. My advice is to love your hair better just like how to take care of your body. After all, it is not called "crowning glory" for nothing.

I will be writing more about curly hair so stay tuned!

Love you all MarvellousPeeps.
Till my next post. Mwah!!



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

Nail Paraphernalia: Nail Art Stuff and Nail Care Thingies

Hello everyone!!! Since this blog came about, I have been hoarding over nail art thingies and stuff for my nails. I thought I might share with you guys some of them so here it is. Just a disclaimer, I didn't accumulate these things in one shopping, and they are not expensive anyways so don't treat this as a bragging or some sort. Blings for Nails Crystal Nail File- perfect for brittle nails Nail Pusher Dotting Tool for Nail art designs Fake nails for practice Buffer Buffer (finally, I won't have to put cotton on my toes just to keep them apart while doing pedicure) Stickers from Wish Nail Stickers bought from Pandayan Bookshop More Nail Stickers bought from Pandayan bookshop I think that's all I have for now. Till my next post. Bye!

TURNING PAGES: Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell

When I was in kindergarten, I had a hard time understanding Math specifically the lesson in  “greater than- less than-equal to” equations. My mother, being a teacher, helped me understand the lesson by using analogy . In a manner of storytelling, she told me that the sign corresponding greater than/less than/equal to is  Pacman  (the famous computer game back then), while the numbers in the equation represent the amount of apples . She told me I have to point Pacman’s mouth to the larger amount so he can eat more apples. I never failed at greater than/less than/equal to lesson ever again. SOURCE: h ttp://prekandksharing.blogspot.com/2012/08/montessori-inspired-greater-than-less.html Outliers  by Malcolm Gladwell is a lot like my mom’s way of teaching me Math. It is composed of analogies and stories that helped me understand the wisdom behind success. It will not tell you what to do, it will ask you to analyze the roots of success and what lies behind the equation

My PIERCINGS- Accidents, Stories, Reasons.. etc.

Elow elow elow Dear Reader! So, today, I bought new set of earrings and I realized, I haven't really talked about my piercing experience. So, I thought maybe I should answer some common questions about my piercings and piercing in general. How many piercings do you have? As of the moment, I have a total of six individual piercings. Three on the left ear, three on the right. When did you get them and why? 1. The first pair was done when I was four or five years old. I remember my father bringing me to a little health center and telling me to just tilt my head and that was it. I don't have much to say about this piercing because it was like a "default" kind of thing - sort of a tradition or one of those mandatory things a girl has to go through-  so nothing special in this pair. Also, I was too young to remember how it felt like. Too young to even comprehend. But I remember being happy having the privilege to wear such pretty gold earrings. I had the rest

Kulot Not Salot: My Curly Hair Routine

I'm still surprised when friends won't believe when I tell them my hair is naturally curly and that I never had a digi perm or any curling method done. People have been seeing me with rebonded straight hair for the past 12 years, (I thought it was only 10) and they have kind of believed my hair is naturally straight. And frankly, I, too, have forgotten how I looked like with curly hair. I have to rummage a box of old photos to help me remember how my curls looked like a decade ago and why do I even have it straightened. Was it that bad? After almost an hour of looking for old photos of my natural curls- this I realized to my chagrin - I rarely wore my curly hair down when I was a teenager. That was basically the reason why I had my hair rebonded. I did not know what to do with my curls. I did not know how to maximize my curls, its beauty, how to style it, how to play with it. And also- hair entails personality. You see, living in this country,

Wedding Bliss: The Sassy Host, Miss Nathalie Salcedo

I honestly don't know how to start talking about our wedding host, Miss Nathalie Salcedo. I think I am still in awe on how amazing her hosting skills was during our wedding. I get asked a lot about her, where we met her, who is she, and/or if she's a celebrity or something. My guests told me two common things about her : she's a good host and she's so pretty. The truth is-- there are also only two things I am sure about her: She's a good host... and she's so pretty! Miss Nat was booked later on the wedding planning, so I didn't know much about her. We booked her less than a month before the wedding through our wedding coor (and through phone only) so I really didn't get the chance to talk to her only until the wedding day itself. The reasons why it took me a long time to book a host were: 1. I didn't know any professional host who haven't hosted any of my friend's wedding. I didn't want want to steal take a friend&#

Revlon Colorstay Foundation Review

Yes, definitely, Revlon Colorstay is here to stay . I believe that the greatest asset of Revlon Colorstay Foundation is the foundation formula itself. You may hate it for any other reasons such as no pump, limited color selection, and tricky application, but you will definitely keep on reaching out for this foundie because the formula itself is so irresistible in terms of coverage, longevity, and finish that somehow you finally understood why this drugstore foundation have created a cult in the beauty arena.   Did I just make a little speech out of Revlon Colorstay Foundation? That I did. Haha. Consider that as my affirmation that I am now a follower of this product. I love it to pieces. Let me break down to you my review on this foundation. I have mixed feelings over this product so let me count the ways. *** ACCORDING TO REVLON WEBSITE: DESCRIPTION Longwearing coverage with Time Release Technology and a lightweight formula that won’t cake, fade, or rub off

Wedding Bliss: Catholic Wedding @ San Juan dela Cruz Parish

June is known to be the wedding month and I think there's a little truth to that because I personally have been to two weddings in this month alone- and it's only June 10 as I type this. I heard it's because June was coined after the Goddess of Love, Juno. So, in lieu of this wedding season, I thought of doing a Wedding Series called Wedding Bliss where I talk about our suppliers when we got married April last year and some other wedding pointers. I will first start with our Wedding Church, which is  San Juan dela Cruz Parish in Valenzuela City. This church is a default choice because this is where me and my husband met (both of us are in music ministry) so if not for this church, I wouldn't have met my husband. Also, serving in this church for almost a decade made it not just a place of worship, but a second home to us, too. All our friends are also parishioners from SJDC, including our Parish Priest, Father Mulong, who is also the presiding priest during our we