Skip to main content

My Pabebe Waves

My Pabebe Waves -- and I am not even talking about #aldub. (Sorry for the pun, I am just a fan! Oh- it rhymes! Silly me.)

Anyways, I am referring to my curls and how I respond to their "pabebe" nature.

You see, ever since I decided to just let my curly hair shine through, I've been getting a lot of questions as to whether I had a perm . They're a bit shocked when I answer them with a resounding "NO" and revealing them of the truth I have once concealed...that is,  I am born with curly hair.

I admit I hated my curls before. I was one of those traditional Filipina who has the feels for long black straight hair (blame it on shampoo commercials.) So, for more than ten years, I did my best to conceal my curls by diligently going to the salon to have my hair rebonded. I have become successful in hiding my own curls. You see, I did deceive the people around me, even my boyfriend.

This is a selfie I took a day before I chop my hair off. At this point, the virgin hair is about up to my shoulders that I need to resort to  hair iron to hide the waves...
But then, ten years is but long enough to wear the same hair. I eventually got bored and unaatached to my straightened hair. Also, Ive been dreaming of a bad ass hair cut. Something that will give me a bit of personality, edge, and yes, a bit of style.

So, one day, I snapped, went to the salon and had a medium length haircut, letting all the curly virgin hair shine through, and all the straightened rebonded hair off. It felt like a dramatic separation from my chemically treated straight hair and going back to my very roots--curly hair. 

To be specific, I am a Type 2A wavy hair (according to naturallycurly.com). I know my hair aint as curly as other girls, but it is still curly for me.


Surprisingly, I am loving my curls now more than ever. I missed my curls so much. I guess I am finally starting to embrace my real hair - or the real me for that matter-- because even though how much I love my hair straightened, in my very roots, figuratively and literally, I will always be the curly girl.

Now, after finally embracing my curls, I am slowly trying to improve my hair care routine. Curly hair is soooo HIGH MAINTENANCE especially if you want to keep your hair in its luscious phase. I don't know where did the conotation of curly hair being so low maintenance came from. Maybe it's the tought of "no comb" thing. But the truth is, there is more to being curly that just "wash and wear."

For a month of wearing my hair curly, I've discovered some tricks to keep the frizz at bay. I realized that you really need to "baby" your curls (masyado sila pabebe) because they "react" to whatever you apply in your hair. May it be mousse, hair spray, oil. Plus it is also dependent to frequency of washing your hair, humidity, length and style of your hair, etc. To tell you honestly, for a month of wearing my hair curly, I've used five-six different hairstyling product, and they all have different effect. One product has different efffect on different day depending on the condition of the hair prior to the application. 


After washing hair with a bit of mousse

my second day hair
the curls has loosen this time

Now, I just want to share some tips how to take good care of your curls. These are just some of the things that I follow myself to keep my hair looking decent and fab.

1. Moisturize your hair to the best of your ability. If you have curly hair, you need to condition your hair to make it bouncy and full of life. Dry hair is a no no because it makes the curls look freakishly dull. You want to be hermoine- not hagrid.

2. Always search for products that are formulated to cater to the needs of your delicate hair. That label "For curly hair" is your magic word.

3. Choose a day or two without washing your hair. I know this is kinda hard, knowing how humid and polluted our country is, but this will prevent your hair from getting dry. The natural oils in your scalp will moisturize your hair.  What I do, I just choose a day (or two) wherein I will just stay at home and wont mind wearing an unwashed hair the whole day.

4. Use hair mask or hair treatment every week. I love hair mask even when I was still a rebonded girl. I realized that it nourishes my curls and it also lessens the "buhaghag" kind of thing. It's kind of tedious, I know, but it is a treat I do for my hair and for myself. I am currently using the Maru Silky Straight Hair Treatment (for wavy frizzy hair). This keeps my hair really moisturized.


.

5. When drying out your hair, use a cotton T-shirt. Avoid using towel cloths for they stimulate frizz on your curls. 

6. Avoid applying heat on your hair as much as possible. If you must, use heat protectant. Again, this is to avoid your hair getting fried and dried out. 

7. Use leave on conditioner or hair vitamin to keep your hair moisturized. Again, moisturizing your curly hair is the best way to keep it healthy and beautiful.

8. Use wide tooth comb. There are two things I bought first right after choppin my hair. One is the hair mousse for curly hair. The second one is a wide tooth comb. Since curly hair is obviously swirling by group of strands, it is def prone to tangle. So, to prevent hair breakage, use wide tooth comb or your fingers. As much as possible be gentle when detangling your hair.


To end this article, my last advice would be just enjoy your hair. Try out different products and experiment on different hairstyles (I will be reviewing a series of curly hair products on my next posts). Curly haired people are unique such that they don't really go with the norms. Even curly people have different types of curl so each has their own unique quality. My advice is to love your hair better just like how to take care of your body. After all, it is not called "crowning glory" for nothing.

I will be writing more about curly hair so stay tuned!

Love you all MarvellousPeeps.
Till my next post. Mwah!!



Comments


Popular posts from this blog

My PIERCINGS- Accidents, Stories, Reasons.. etc.

Elow elow elow Dear Reader! So, today, I bought new set of earrings and I realized, I haven't really talked about my piercing experience. So, I thought maybe I should answer some common questions about my piercings and piercing in general. How many piercings do you have? As of the moment, I have a total of six individual piercings. Three on the left ear, three on the right. When did you get them and why? 1. The first pair was done when I was four or five years old. I remember my father bringing me to a little health center and telling me to just tilt my head and that was it. I don't have much to say about this piercing because it was like a "default" kind of thing - sort of a tradition or one of those mandatory things a girl has to go through-  so nothing special in this pair. Also, I was too young to remember how it felt like. Too young to even comprehend. But I remember being happy having the privilege to wear such pretty gold earrings. I had the rest ...

EOS Lip Balm, Overrated?

I was looking at old photos in my computer and I saw these cute pictures of EOS Lipbalm and I remembered how much I love this product but I shelved it for various reasons. EOS and I had some good times, you know. I enjoyed the days when kissing it feels fruity on my lips. But then, I have slowly fallen out of love from it. It wasn't because it was a horrible product but because it didn't last on me and I think there’s so many lip balms out there that offers better service than just cute packaging and fruity taste.  Let me give you the details of our love story. This product became popular last year because of its cute packaging. So many beauty gurus raved about it but lately, it has been categorized under overrated product list. (Source) It got me into thinking if EOS lip balm is really an overrated product. Why did I shelved this product anyway? I remembered it was a year ago when I got my EOS lip balm in strawberry sorbet. Believe you me, I was so freaki...

Revlon Stormy Pink

This is gonna be short and sweet just to make up for a long blogging hiatus. I don’t have much luck when it comes to pink lipstick. It’s either wrong shade or wrong formula. Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in Stormy Pink is no exemption. A friend gave this to me and the color was love at first sight. It was purple-ish, Barbie-like pink tone. But then, after getting a bit tanner because of summer, it ain't BFF with my morena skin tone. Wearing this makes me feel like Nikki Minaj (Boom boorooom boom base!!!). But I think, this is perfect for girls who have pale skin or fairer skin . The formula is just so off. It’s sticky, but not pigmented, and it keeps on sliding on my lips as if I am using a cheap brand lipstick. (To tell you honestly, I am not considering Revlon as a drugstore brand because  it is a bit pricey here in the Philippines.) It has a matte formula so for all you glossy-haters out there, this one's for you. As for me, matte lipsticks are too dr...

Inspired by JLO's Nude Lips: In2it Moisture Intense Lipstick in Orange Fizz

I have always been on the hunt for a nice nude lipstick that can beautifully mute my pigmented lips. The desire to rummage around for the best neutral lipstick started when I would always see myself being drawn to wearing dark hues of eyeshadows, only to find out I have no nude lipstick to pair it with. I would always end up wearing light pink lipstick which I think is just fine but I wish I could have a neutral colored lipstick so the eyeshadows can pop rather than making the lipstick clash to the eye make-up. Should I say my hunt is always a fail. Sometimes, it’s too pale, too light, a lot of browns, lots of pinks, always a fail. What I really want to have is the kind of lipstick that will definitely erase my lips but won’t make me appear sickly. Arrrgh! Women are such confused beings! Anyways, this is how nude I want my lipstick to be… Girl crushing is on! I always wonder how JLO rock the nude up until I saw I video of youtuber Jenn Im where the girl uses not brown or light...

Kulot Not Salot: My Curly Hair Routine

I'm still surprised when friends won't believe when I tell them my hair is naturally curly and that I never had a digi perm or any curling method done. People have been seeing me with rebonded straight hair for the past 12 years, (I thought it was only 10) and they have kind of believed my hair is naturally straight. And frankly, I, too, have forgotten how I looked like with curly hair. I have to rummage a box of old photos to help me remember how my curls looked like a decade ago and why do I even have it straightened. Was it that bad? After almost an hour of looking for old photos of my natural curls- this I realized to my chagrin - I rarely wore my curly hair down when I was a teenager. That was basically the reason why I had my hair rebonded. I did not know what to do with my curls. I did not know how to maximize my curls, its beauty, how to style it, how to play with it. And also- hair entails personality. You see, living in this country,...

Wedding Bliss: The Importance of Wedding Coordinator (Quintessence Philippines)

I am quite surprised that even after being married for almost a year now, I still get a ton of queries regarding wedding details and such. One common question I get is this: "Do I really need a wedding day coordinator?". My answer is always, always this big YES. Well, based on my experience, you can get away without an over-all full wedding coordinator because you can do the planning alone. However- and very important, I must say, that you get an on-the-day-coordinator . And please do get a legit one, not your friends or family, but a professional wedding coor. (Your friends want to enjoy the moment, too, so please don't give them yet another job to do. They can assist you in little things, but please leave everything to a legit coor.) Some reasons why I think a professional on-the-day wedding coordinator is a must: 1. Stress-free wedding.  The least I wanted to be during my wedding is to be the stressed-bride. I have been to weddings without coordinators and I tell...

Happiness and All in Between

Source Life is freaking awesome, let me just say that. I’m happy to finally say I am happy (forgive the redundancy). I am so overwhelmed with all the blessings I see around me. Much more, I am filled with peace which is far too precious than any other material things in this world. Last night, while I was doing my “journaling” routine, I reviewed my bucket list I made at the beginning of the year. I called it “PUSH MO YAN, GIRL” list. Three of them I already ticked off including the last one which says “BE HAPPY.” For the past two years, I feel stuck. I don't really know what to do with my life. Along with my self-imposed crisis, I felt truly unhappy, but God has helped me make better decisions in life that has led me to find happiness with who I was, who I am, and who I want to be in the future. Now, I feel so much better- the best version I could ever be since my quarter life has began and I am no longer afraid of my dreams. I am no longer at lost, I think.  Large part o...